Apricot-Pistachio Tart with Lemon-Olive Butter
1 rue de la Vieille Boucherie, 35400 Saint-Malo, France
(only 50 meters from the Maison du Beurre, our historic shop)
Crédit photographique © Stéphane Maillard
Preparation: 30 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Rest Time: 2 h
- 225 g / 1 cup Bordier lemon-olive oil butter
- 200 / 7 oz sugar
- 90 g / 1/3 cup egg yolks
- 300 g 10 ½ oz flour
- 5 g / a pinch salt
- 12 g / 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 300 g / 10 ½ oz milk
- 60 g / 4 tbl sugar
- 50 g / 1 ¾ oz liquid cream, 35% butterfat content
- 2 eggs
- 20 g / 1 1/3 tbl corn starch
- 25 g / 5 tsp (Sevarom) pistachio paste
- 500 g / 17 ½ oz apricots, pitted
- 100 g / 3 ½ oz sugar
- Unsalted pistachios, chopped
- Knead the lemon-olive oil butter with the sugar.
- Fold in the egg yolks.
- Blend evenly, then fold in the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Mix the dough, roll into a ball and wrap in plastic before letting it sit for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Scald the milk than add the sugar and cream, making sure that it contains 35% butterfat.
- Separately, beat the eggs, then add the corn starch and cold milk.
- When the milk begins to simmer, slowly add the egg-corn starch-milk mixture into the first mixture.
- Cover the cream with plastic wrap taking care to stick it directly on the surface of the custard. Refrigerate.
- Once chilled, add the pistachio paste.
- Roll the dough out as thinly as possible. Cut out a disk the same size as the diameter of a greased straight sided tart pan (or baking circle). It is a Breton style crust, which means that it covers only the bottom of the tart pan, not the sides.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Refrigerate the rolled out dough for 15 minutes before baking it for another 15 minutes to the desired brownness and crustiness.
- Once baked, let cool, then turn out of the mold carefully. The crust will be quite brittle.
- Garnish with the cold custard with a pastry bag set with a wide nozzle. Squeeze out the custard in a circular motion, making sure to leave 1 cm / ¾ inch from the edge of the crust without any custard.
- For the apricots, place a Flexipan, silicon baking sheet or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle a generous layer of sugar over the covered cookie sheet, and place the apricots, pitted and sliced in two, cut side down on the layer of sugar. Bake at 220°C / 425°F. Remove when the inside of the apricots has lightly caramelized on the sugar.
- Remove and let cool.
- Place the apricots on the custard sliced side up moving from the inside to the outside.
Our tip: Place a peeled pistachio in the center of each apricot, and in the middle of the tart, the chopped pistachios.